Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Restoring Memories

I inherited an old metal pedal car from my Grandfather that is a bit rusted and beet up. But I love this little car and was so excited to get it. I remember always playing with it as a kid in my Grandparents driveway. Even when we were too big for it my cousin Brittany and I would get in it and play. I guess a neighboor had given it to my grandparents for all of their grandkids to enjoy.
Chad has been working on restoring it and I have done a lot of research on this little car. While looking at pictures at my mom's the other day we came across this picture...
This is the car about 30 years ago and that is my brother Mike. It was so fun to see a picture of it in good condition! It is missing some pieces that we were not sure what they were like the windshield and the handles on the back. Here is the car now..

It had the wheels and everything but Chad is taking it apart to clean off all the rust. I found a website that sells the original parts we need which is awesome!
After a lot of research I found out that this is one of the most common pedal cars because Murray used this same exact body style for several different types like a fire enigine, speedway car, and a station wagon (which is this one). These were made from 1959 to 1972. We are thinking of making it into the fire truck one because it is really cool! It has a bell and ladders and everything! But part of me wants to restore it to the original with the teal paint. I dont know we will see but this is going to be a project that is going to take many years.

Here are some pics I found of other designs made with the Murray Flat Face body...




3 comments:

  1. this is so COOL!!! can't wait to see it all done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard decision! I think you should restore it how YOU want it though

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you have to decide if you want to 'resurrect' or 'reincarnate'.

    ReplyDelete