Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Am I Turtely Enough for the Turtle Club?

I have been thinking a lot lately about my schooling and how long its taken me. I remember my Senior year being so excited because I was accepted to the U of A and they gave me a $2,000 scholarship. But I had to pay for school on my own and that just wouldn't cover it. They had a deal in Arizona that if you excelled in the three subjects on the state AIMS tests (reading, writing , and math) you would get a full ride scholarship to any state university. I knocked out and excelled in math and reading my first try. But after retaking the writing twice I didn't get it. Apparently they don't like my essays.



I remember going home and just crying because I knew there was no way I could afford U of A. There was no way I was going to take out loans I have seen what they do to people. I had a teacher that was still trying to pay them off after 15 years. I knew it was going to take me forever to get through school since I would have to work until I had enough money. My dad gave me a big hug and told me that it doesn't matter how long it takes me as long as I finish. He reminded me of the turtle and the hare story.



After applying to several scholarships to no avail. I finally found a job that would reimburse me for my schooling. But then everyone in Tucson was laid off. Awesome. So Chad and I have ended up paying for all of my college expenses. And finally after 5 years I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Well uh the Associates tunnel. This fall I will officially have my AA in Business Administration and be ready to transfer to NAU online next year.

I still can't believe it took me THAT long. But Chad always tells me "yeah but you also got married and had two kids in that time" I know but I feel like I am a turtle trying to run through peanut butter!

At this rate it will be another 5 years until I am done. See you when I am 29 Bachelor's Degree....

1 comment:

  1. I'm in your same boat. I graduated 6 years ago and I don't have my AA yet. Family is more important though!

    ReplyDelete