Thursday, April 28, 2011

Grocery Shopping

Since Lydia was born I have only gone grocery shopping once with just me and the girls. And it wasn't so bad because Lydia slept the whole time and Sophie was just excited that she didn't have to sit in the cart so she obediently walked alongside and held onto the cart.

Yesterday I decided that I was going to go by myself and boy was that crazy. Mom I don't know how you did it with all of us!  I didn't even get in the store before I ran into trouble. Sophie wanted one of those carts with the car on the front. There was no way that all of my groceries were going to fit in that thing we hadn't shopped for 3 weeks. So I explained to her that we needed to use a different cart. She proceeded to lay flat on the ground and pout.
Once I got her off the floor she was covered in black dirt. Gross. So I had to wipe her down with a baby wipe. Luckily Lydia at this time was sleeping. I was worried since she has been pretty cranky lately because she refuses to nap. We were doing good Sophie was listening and while she wasn't holding onto the cart she was walking right next to me. And then she started playing and thinking I was chasing her with the cart. She was getting too far so I asked her to come back. She starts running towards me and she trips and her shoe goes flying halfway down the aisle. Lydia starts to cry.
A nice store associate brings Sophie her shoe and says "aww sweetheart you cant be running down the aisles in these cute little shoes." (I was really hoping no one had seen her wipe out but oh well.) Sophie calmed down and amazingly so did Lydia so we picked up the rest of our groceries and headed to checkout. I start unloading and Lydia is angry..beyond done shopping. And Sophie is taking lighters and candy bars off of the shelves. Ahhh!  When I told this story to Chad he said "oh so you were one of Those People today" Yes yes I was thanks Hun. The cashier handed Sophie a balloon and then she was good and as long as I held Lydia she was good.

After a long ride of Lydia screaming and getting stuck at every light and a train we finally made it home. Right now Sophie really likes to help take in the groceries which is so nice. Just to give you an idea of how long this adventure took me we headed to the store at 3:30 and once I got everything put away it was 6:30. So I think I will be taking Chad to the store with me from now on. Unless I get brave enough to try again.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Rachel...so sorry! Hopefully that is just a once in a while shopping trip, and next time the girls will be better

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL- I love Chad's response. . .because I've been one of those people too!! In my opinion the only way to make this situation better is to keep taking them-Make rules and stick to them while you're there-Like if my kids touch anything or run off they have to sit in the cart-there have been many time when I have had three of my children in the cart and carring the groceries that won't fit :). . . but each time gets better and better. . . Good Luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with Kimberly... I do that with Ty-kell. And don't be embarassed if both children are screaming, just ignore them and they will stop. People around you totally understand. It does get better if you keep taking them. What I do with Ty-kell which makes grocery shopping very easy and entertaining for him. I make a list and let him hold it, and ask him what we need. I also give him the items to organize in the basket. I keep in the basket the entire time, but I am giving him something to do. I know with more than two this is not going to work but it is a start.

    ReplyDelete